Are you planning to move to Spain for a long period of time? Then you will need your residence permit or residence visa. But there are many kinds of permits. Which one is the most favorable for you? Well, if you are not considering overtaking any kind of economic activity, and you have sufficient funds, the non-lucrative residency will be your best option.
The non-lucrative residency permit allows you to stay in Spain for a period of 1 year (as it is a temporary residency authorization), plus renewals. Foreigners who would like to obtain this residence permit must go through the application process from their country of origin.
Due to its easiness of application, it is one of the permits we recommend you to apply for. Why? The lack of need to invest in the country or to fulfill other requirements makes it something simple to acquire. In order to save even more time in the whole process, do not hesitate to contact us: we will be in charge of everything.
As it has a non-profit nature, it does not allow you to engage in any professional activity or employment. For that, having sufficient means for a living will be the only thing you should worry about. If you can prove that you have sufficient funds and that your stay in the country won’t induce into any government expenditure, you will be eligible for the permit.
As many other residence permits, the retirement or non-lucrative residency allows you to do a joint application. This means that you can also bring your spouse and children that are under the legal age (or over if you could demonstrate you are in charge of them) just by doing your application.
- It offers you the possibility to settle down in Spain with your Family. You can apply to this residency for yourself and, afterwards, solicit the same residency for your relatives.
- It’s a temporary residency that lasts 1 year. Then, the first and the second renovation last for 2 years. And at the time of applying for the third one, you can apply for the long-term residency in Spain. In case you apply for the long-term residency, you should renovate every 5 years.
- This type of residency appeals the effects to obtain the Spanish nationality for residency.
- There is no need to invest in Spain in order to get this permit (something that happens with the Golden Visa).
- It allows you to study and do an internship that can be even paid.
- It allows you to do economic activities in other countries (but not in Spain).
- You will be able to enter the Schengen territory without any problem.
FIRST. YOU MUST DEMONSTRATE YOU HAVE ENOUGH MONEY ON YOUR BANK ACCOUNT: As we have mentioned before, this residence authorization does not allow you to work in the country. Nevertheless, ensuring that you will be able to have a living will be necessary, so the Government does not have the need to maintain you.
You must prove that you have 400% of the IPREM annually on your bank account. For this year 2019, the IPREM is 548,60 € for a month. As the measurement unit we are interested in is the year, our target will be 6.583,20 €. That is, the main applicant for this visa must demonstrate he or she has is 26.332,80 €. Nevertheless, we suggest you have a bit more than that if you would like to have a successful application. Take that number as a minimum reference point.
In case of Joint Application, the main applicant should demonstrate that he or she has, in addition to the amount mentioned above, at least the 100% of the IPREM for each additional member. that means 548.60 € per member monthly.
SECOND. Having full-coverage healthcare in Spain: You need a health insurance policy that covers diagnostics, treatment, and rehabilitation in accepted medical centers. This insurance needs to include 100% general ambulatory medicine, 100% treatments, and 100% hospitalization without limits or co-payments, equivalent to the Spanish Social Security System. The insurance has to cover the period of one year.
THIRD. Having an accommodation in Spain, either rented or bought. In case of renting a house, The minimum period of the contract should be one year at least.
In order to successfully apply for the NON LUCRATIVE RESIDENCE, the applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Not be a citizen of a country member of the European Union. This special residency permit is designed for citizens from countries outside this area, which have it more difficult to get a visa in Spain.
- Be of legal age (+18 in Spain).
- Lack of criminal records, both in Spain and in any other country. The deadline to take into account here will be the last 5 years.
- Notarized document explaining why you are requesting this visa, the purpose, the place and length of your
stay in Spain and any other reasons you need to explain, with a certified translation into Spanish.
- Medical Certificate with a certified translation into Spanish, which should be a doctor’s recent statement (not older than 3 months in doctor’s or medical center’s letterhead) indicating that ‘the patient has been examined and found free of any contagious diseases according to the International Health Regulation 2005’. Must be signed by a M.D.
Yes, with the non-profit residence permit that is specially created for all those individuals, is possible.
it must be clear that with this residence permit you cannot be hired by any company, at least for the first year. It only authorizes legal residence in Spain for a period of more than 90 days.
No, simply by demonstrating that you have sufficient financial resources to live in Spain, the money can be in any financial entity in the world.
Also, you can have part of the money in a Spanish bank account and the other part in an American one, for example, and it will still be accepted.
Family members of a person with this type of residence permit can also obtain residence cards as a family member of a legal resident, which will allow them to live and go to school in the case of minors.
The total time to obtain the application is difficult to estimate, depends on several factors, it can last up to nine months, it greatly depends on the applicant’s own efficiency in completing the application requirements, among other factors.
The general Spanish immigration law states that you can use any kind of proof. Nevertheless, many times the different Spanish consulates request a bank certificate of liquid money on your account. The exact date of the certificate must be as close as possible to the application day.
Credit cards or property values can also be used here, as long as you also submit with them a document that certifies their validity from your bank.
You are not allowed to work for any Spanish company.
Once the visa has been issued, the visa will have a validity of three months, during which you have to enter Spain. The initial residency authorisation then allows you to live in Spain for 1 or 2 years.
Yes, foreign nationals can move freely to the other 27 Schengen countries for a maximum of three months within any six-month period.